Some questions to answer before you choose to buy yourself a handgun.
1. Have you ever in your life been in a situation in which it would have been appropriate to shoot somebody?
2. Do you know anyone who has ever been in a situation in which it would have been appropriate to shoot somebody?
If the answer to both of those questions is "no," you probably don't need a gun.
3. Have you ever been in a situation where you were glad there was no gun?
4. Do you know of any who was in a situation that would have been improved had there been no gun?
If your answer to either of those question is yes, you probably don't need a gun.
If your answer to both of those question is yes, you should stay clear of guns.
5. Keeping in mind that the handgun you buy is more likely to shoot someone you don't want shot than anyone you do want shot, why are you buying the gun? Is it to make a political statement?
If you are buying a gun to make a political statement, to solidify your association with the political right, to thumb your nose at the left, if you are endangering yourself and those you love in order to feel like one of the in crowd, you need to find another hobby.